I’m pretty enamored with coconut. I pretty much try to get it into everything I cook, and luckily my roommates feel the same way. We all love coconuts. Are we nuts?
- 1 cup brown rice (plus 2 1/4 cup water)
- cilantro, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 a medium sized onion, diced
- a handful of okra (I used about 5-6 okra, sliced)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Olive oil or butter for sautéing vegetables
- 1 package tofu
- Salt and pepper
THE SAUCE: Fried Rice Sauce / Tofu Marinade:
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 T sriracha
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1 T lime juice
- 1 t seseame seed oil
- 2 T freshly grated ginger
- 2 t sherry
- 2 t curry
- 2 t cajun seasoning
- 1 T corn starch
- 2 t salt
- 1 egg (Add this for the fried rice sauce only)
- Cook the rice! In order to cook brown rice, place the rice and 2 and 1/4 cup of water in a pot, and bring to a boil.
- Once the rice as reached a boil, set heat to a medium-low and place a lid on the rice. Put you’re timer on for 40 minutes.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, whisk all the ingredients (except the egg!) for the fried rice sauce in a bowl. Slice the pieces of tofu for bite-sized pieces. Discard the liquid and pour the fried rice sauce over the tofu, let sit for 20 minutes.
- Cook olive oil/butter with garlic in a large sauce pan on medium-low heat. Once it becomes fragrant, add the remaining vegetables and sauté until the onions become somewhat translucent and fragrant, and dress with some salt and pepper. Set aside until rice is cooked.
- In a separate pan, cook marinated tofu in a pan with olive oil until sides are browned. Set aside. Reserve the marinade from tofu, whisk the egg into the liquid to use for the fried rice.
- Once the rice is cooked, add it to the vegetable mixture. Return to heat and pour the fried rice sauce all over the rice and vegetables and fold through the pan until the fried rice sauce covers the rice. Add tofu atop each serving of fried rice.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and enjoy!