These are really a delicious and hearty breakfast option. Even the lover of all carbs will be charmed by this number.
- 1 banana, mashed (preferably one which is more ripe)
- 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa, prepared to package instructions (around 1 cup prepared quinoa)
- 2 T sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1 or 2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 c corn starch
- 1/2 t baking soda
- Maple Syrup for serving
- optional: Almond milk
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy.
- Add sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda, and corn starch. Incorporate until smooth.
- Using a spoon or spatula, add all of the cooked quinoa and banana. Stir well. Batter should have same consistency of normal pancake batter. If too thick, add almond milk by the tablespoon. Too thin, add corn starch by the tablespoon.
- Heat a griddle on medium-high. Be sure to use a non-stick pan and grease before each pancake.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle. Once bubbles form and pop on batter it is time to flip. Cook on both sides and serve with maple syrup.
- Make about 8 pancakes.
I made this for breakfast today when I couldn’t decide between french toast and something like meat and eggs. I’d heard a bit about savory french toast but never actually experimented myself, so I decided to give it a go and found that it was the best decision in a very very long time. This was heavenly: savory by the nature of the french toast and sauteed onions, made sweet by a dab of maple syrup mixed into the batter, and finishes off crispy and fresh with the arugula….and then bacon. Of course. Who doesn’t love bacon. Since the french toast makes it savory and dense already, I opted for dressing the sandwich with baby bell spreadable cheese rather than sliced cheese, and just added a good spread of dijon mustard because I am a dijon aficionado. This sandwich makes the BEST breakfast and can be an awesome lunch too- it doesn’t need to be bothered by any luncheon meats or heavy cheeses. It’s all good the way it is.
Make this for someone who’s indecisive like me, and needs the best of all worlds.
Prep: 10 minutes. Ready in 30. Makes 3 sandwiches.
For THE SAUCE You’ll need:
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt
- 1 t each of nutmeg, coriander, and any Italian herb of your preference (I used dried oregano)
- 2T maple syrup
For the rest, You’ll need:
- 6 slices of bread
- 1 medium-large onion, sliced
- 1T each of salted butter and olive oil
- 1 or 2t Worcestershire sauce
- 3 triangles of baby bell spreadable cheese (any spreadable cheese like goat cheese would work well too)
- dijon mustard
- 6 slices of bacon
- handful of arugula
- Mix ingredients for THE SAUCE in a bowl with a whisk until well blended. Pour into a deep plate to dip slices of bread.
- Warm up a frying pan to medium heat and pour a bit of olive oil and swirl around. After covering both sides of bread in the savoury-sauce batter, place the soaked bread in the frying pan and do your normal french toast magic. Flip on both sides, and place on a plate until all slices are cooked. Set aside, in a warm place if possible.
- In the same pan, heat olive oil and butter. Add sliced onions and saute until wilted and fragrant.
- While cooking onions, cook your bacon.
- Return to your onions and add Worcestershire sauce. Turn off heat.
- Time to assemble your sandwiches! This part is easy. 1 slice french toast, cheese, Dijon, onions, bacon, arugula, other slice, and then slice that baby and enjoy.
I made this as kind of an egg casserole that you can make the night before, stick in the fridge and heat up in the morning. It was a hit this morning so I decided to share!
For the egg caserole, you’ll need:
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 an onion, minced
- 3 T tomato paste
- 5 sundried tomatoes, minced
- 1/2 cup cream or milk
- salt and pepper
- toasted Naan bread
- tzatziki spread
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Mix milk and tomato paste with a whisk until the tomato paste dissolves.
- Add eggs and whisk until well blended.
- Add remaining ingredients and place in a casserole dish.
- Bake for around 35-40 minutes
- While baking, toast/broil pieces of naan
- Spread tzatziki on naan, and place baked egg on top and serve!